The following guidelines have been approved by the DeLand City Commission and apply to all organizations using the Chess Park grounds and facilities. Groups or organizations not following these rules may be asked to leave the premises.
Hours of Operation:
- Sunrise to Sunset (Civilian Time)
Site: $50.00 for up to 4 hours, $25.00 for an additional 4 hours (effective July 1, 2009).
- Note: Due to the complexities of our accounting procedures, the organizations check will be held for deposit until the day of the event.
- Restroom attendant is required if there is a request for use of the public restrooms when the park restrooms are normally closed. There will be a per hour non-refundable charge payable 10 days prior to the event start date for security, at the organization's expense. A two-hour minimum is required. If a cancellation occurs after the 72-hour notice, a two-hour minimum will be charged. If a 72-hour cancellation notice is given, the City will return the voided check to the contact person on the application. See the below rates:
Attendant: $25.00 per hour (effective July 1, 2009).
- Chess Piece Deposit Requirements:
- Chess piece rental: Regular game pieces may be checked out from the West Volusia Beacon office across the street from the park during normal business hours. Life size pieces may be checked out through Administrative Services at City Hall from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday (deposit required for large chess pieces). After hours and weekends checkout not available.
Category # 1
- Local government or Education Institution (i.e. Volusia County Schools, Stetson University).
Category # 2
- All other requests.
- $100 Deposit Required.
- Check Required as an Acceptable Deposit. The deposit will be returned in full if no damage or loss of property occurs.
Rules and Guidelines:
- Before engaging in any activity, groups or organizations must complete an application and return to Administrative Services for review and processing no later than 30 days prior to the event date.
- Only the community use area will be made available. No other part of the property may be reserved.
- No reservations will be allowed during black out periods as released by the Supervisor of Elections.
- If required, Certificates of Insurance must be received and approved by Administrative Services 10 days prior to the event.
- All organizations MUST sign a hold harmless clause as part of the application process.
- If required, all fees due must be paid BEFORE the event.
- Parking for all events will be in accordance with the City of DeLand parking ordinances.
- No signs, banners, balloons or any other material my be attached, nailed or taped to the City property without prior approval and conditions.
- All groups and organizations are responsible for damage to City property. The City reserves the right to seek a damage deposit in advance of the event in an amount to correspond with the size of the event, displays, tents, etc. Any damage to City property must be corrected within a reasonable period of time.
- All groups and organizations are responsible for clean up of City facilities and are expected to perform clean up immediately after the event. The City reserves the right to seek a clean up deposit in an amount to be determined by the size of the event, inside/outside, etc. The City also reserves the right to charge for post clean up measures if event does not follow policy.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on City park property unless there is a prior City approval.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Administrative Services at (386) 626-7023.